Nuclear Fission Diagram Questions (you will need a periodic table)
- U-235 – What element is this and how many protons and neutrons does it have?
- What type of matter collided with U-235?
- what are the three products of the nuclear fission event?
- How many protons and neutrons do Ba-144 and Kr-89 have?
- Add up all of the neutrons and protons in the products of the event, do they equal the number of protons and neutrons in the reactants? Explain.
Nuclear Fusion Diagram Questions (you will need a periodic table)
- In this diagram, which color represents neutrons? Protons?
- What element is deuterium? What element is tritium? Explain how you know this.
- What are the products of this fusion event?
- Do the number of neutrons and protons in the products equal the number of neutrons and protons in the reactants? Explain.
- Is the helium atom the most common isotope of this element? Explain.
- Explain why this is a fusion nuclear reaction rather than a fission reaction.